Exam Guidelines for Learners
Book Your Exam Centre Appointment
- The PTW or PTR must be printed from a computer or laptop to have the name, username, course name, and date of birth fields printed on the form. The form will appear blank if printed from a phone.
- Once you receive your Permission to Write (PTW) or Permission to Re-Write (PTR), contact a RECA approved Exam Centre to book your exam.
- You must book your exam in advance to ensure there is a place for you at the Exam Centre on the day you wish to write. Some exam centres require up to 10 day notice.
- You are responsible to pay the Exam Centre proctoring fee and for any other fees associated with taking your exam at the Exam Centre (e.g. parking). You may be required to pay online in advance or when you arrive at the exam centre.
- You should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start time for the exam. Once the exam has started, you will not be admitted to the exam room.
- Read the Exam Guidelines for Learners and the Education Code of Conduct for Learners before your exam so you are aware of the Exam Centre procedures and expectations. These documents are also in your course manual Learner Guide and in your Exam Package.
- If you require special accommodations you must first be approved by RECA. You must provide RECA with current documentation from a qualified professional explaining in detail the reasons for the accommodation and specific recommendations proving your need for any accommodation.
Admission to the Exam Room
You must not write or attempt to write an exam under false or fictitious identity or knowingly provide false information.
Proctors have the right to assign you a seat for the exam and you must sit where assigned by the exam proctor.
You must meet the following requirements or you will be denied admission to the exam:
Provide your PTW or PTR for checking by proctors
- A valid RECA-issued PTW or PTR must have a passport photo attached to it in the designated space or you will not be eligible to write the exam.
- The photo attached to the PTW or PTR must be a recent official Canadian passport photo taken no more 6 months prior to the exam date and the photo must comply with the Canadian Passport Office standards. The back of each Canadian passport photo must have your name, photographer’s name and address, and the date the photo was taken. (make sure that each photo has this information on the back) You will need 1 passport photo for each exam you write. No other photos are acceptable.
- You must initial confirming that you have received, read and understood the Exam Guidelines for Learners and Education Code of Conduct for Learners and agree to abide by them.
- You must initial declaring that you are not bringing any prohibited items into the exam room. This includes electronic devices capable of taking pictures (digital images), cell phones, personal digital assistants, audio devices, text devices, translation devices, tables, formulas, paper, or any other items as mentioned in these guidelines.
- You must initial confirming that you understand that if you are involved un conduct that does not comply with the Exam Guidelines for Learners or the Education Code for Learners, you will not be able to proceed with any further courses or exams until RECA has completed a review of the facts and has determined if any action may be warranted.
- You must initial and sign your PTW or PTR in the presence of the proctor at the Exam Centre. If you have pre-signed your PTW or PTR, you must sign the form again in the presence of the proctor.
Provide photo ID for verification by proctor
- A current Canadian government-issued photo ID with signature to be verified against the passport photo and signature on PTW or PTR.
- Names on all documentation must match.
You are only allowed a calculator for the Practice of Commercial Real Estate exam. Proctors must check the calculator to ensure the following:
- Calculator must be silent
- Calculator cannot be alpha-numeric or programmable.
- You must place your personal belongings in the designated area, or left in care of the exam proctor before the exam begins and must not be accessed during the exam. This includes items such as purses, backpacks, briefcases, gloves, hats, coats, water bottles.
- You must turn off all of your electronic devices and place them in the designated area, or left in care of the exam proctor before the exam begins and they must not be accessed during the exam or washroom break. This includes cell phones, personal digital assistants, audio devices, text devices or translation devices.
- You are not allowed to bring any items to assist you with the exam, such as notes in any form, papers, pens, pencils, books, tapes, tables, translation devices, or calculator. NOTE: Calculators are only allowed for the Practice of Commercial Real Estate exam.
During the Exam
- You must remain seated during the exam. If you need to speak to the proctor (e.g. to request to leave the room for any reason) you should indicate this by raising your hand.
- Washroom visits should be taken before the start of the exam. If you need to visit the washroom during the exam, you must be escorted by Exam Centre personnel.
- You must not attempt to open any other computer programs, online windows, external websites, texts, emails or instant messages.
- You must not communicate with other exam-takers during the exam, such as verbal or non-verbal communications or note passing. You are not allowed to receive or provide assistance to or from other exam-takers during the exam.
- You are prohibited from collecting, copying, forwarding, photographing, recording or reproducing any aspect of the exam by any means.
- You must not disrupt others during the exam. If the disruptive behavior continues, the exam proctors have the right to terminate the exam, counting as automatic fail and escort you from the room.
- RECA’s exams vary in length of time (maximum of 3 hours) and automatically end when the applicable exam expires.
- You may be videotaped by the Exam Centre and these videos may be shared with RECA.
- Once you ‘Submit’ your exam you will see your mark and score breakdown. You will also receive an email to the address RECA has on file for with this information.
- You are prohibited from discussing or distributing exam questions and/or answers by any means with everyone including a broker, colleague or friends.
- If you are involved in any conduct that does not comply with the Exam Guidelines for Learners or Education Code of Conduct for Learners, you will not be able to proceed with any further courses or exams until RECA has completed a review of the facts and has determine if any action may be warranted.