To become a licensed real estate, property management, mortgage, or real estate appraisal professional, you must become eligible to enrol in the applicable pre-licensing education.

Click here to see if this career is right for you Real Estate Information Session.  (Only real estate/property management)

To become eligible you must:

Here are the documents we require:

1. Source document – proof of identity and ability to study in Alberta (no substitute accepted)

Born in Canada
  • copy of birth certificate
Born outside of Canada
  • front and back copy of your Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate
  • front and back copy of your valid Permanent Resident card
  • a copy of your Work Permit (must be without study restrictions and be valid for length of program)

2. Supporting Document - Government photo identification (one of the following)

RECA accepts
  • Canadian passport
  • Driver’s licence
  • Provincial identification card
  • Treaty status card
  • Canadian Forces identification card
  • Firearms card
Identification must contain
  • a clear photo
  • your full legal name
  • your date of birth
Identification must also
  • be valid (not expired)
  • have been issued within the last 5 years if the identification does not have an expiry date


Important: If there are errors in either the source document or government photo identification this must be corrected by the issuing government agency. If the legal name on the identification is truncated due to limited space, we may request additional documentation to confirm the full legal name. 

The name and birthdate in the source document, government issued photo identification, and myRECA account must match.

3. If the identification does not match we will accept the following:

Legal name change

All name change documents must show both the current and the previous name and be supported by one of the following:

  • registered marriage certificate(s) issued by a vital statistics agency
  • divorce decree(s)/certificates(s)
  • certificate(s) of name change

Preferred name(s)


Preferred names (i.e. Bill instead of William or Sue instead of Susan) are not allowed unless a legal certificate of name change is presented.

  • names cannot be re-arranged into a different order
  • once licensed an industry professional can apply for an AKA to use a preferred name


4. Proof of Education

You must request an official education transcript or education assessment to be mailed directly from the education institution or assessment service to: Real Estate Council of Alberta, Suite 202, 1506 11 Ave SW, Calgary AB T3C 0M9

Proof of Canadian Education (one of the following)
  • High School Graduation transcript showing a graduation diploma was granted
  • General Education Development Tests (GED) transcript if you did not complete your Canadian high school education or your transcript cannot be provided
  • post-Secondary transcript from a Canadian University or Canadian College listed as a member of the Universities or Colleges of Canada websites showing one of the following:
  • diploma has been granted (minimum 2-year program)
  • degree has been granted
  • successful completion of a minimum of 3 for-credit academic courses towards a diploma (2-year minimum) or degree
Proof of Non-Canadian Education
  • assessed non-Canadian education transcript stating that it is at least equivalent to a minimum of a Canadian high school graduation diploma
  • the Education Assessment must be completed by a member of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC) 
  • please direct any concerns to the ACESC member you are using

RECA does not accept the following documentation as proof of education:

  • trade or vocational designations, certificates, or diplomas
  • apprenticeships or fast-tracked or condensed education programs
  • professional or occupational memberships, certificates, or designations
  • non-credit college or university courses, designations, certificates, or diplomas


5. Proof of English Proficiency

All education programs are in English consistent with the Alberta business environment. You must provide English proficiency, in all areas (listening, speaking, reading, and writing), by submitting one of the following documents.


Transcript Indicating
  • graduation from an accredited Canadian high school including successful completion of grade 12 English
  • graduation from a minimum 2-year diploma or degree program from a Canadian post-secondary education institution Foreign Education Assessments Indicating
Foreign Education Assessments Indicating
  • language of instruction was exclusively English
    • International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) Comprehensive Assessement
  • successful completion of Grade 12 English courses
    • International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS) Educational Assessment
    • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) Secondary School Comprehensive Assessment Report
English Proficiency Assessment Organization Type of Assessment

English as a Foriegn Language

iBT test with an overall score of 92 and the following minimum scores: Listening, 21; Speaking, 26; Reading, 21; Writing, 24
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Assessment minimum score of 6.5 in all areas with a minimum overall score of 6.5 (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing)
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General test with a minimum score of 7 in all areas (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing)
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) Minimum score of 60 in all areas, minimum overall score of 60 (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing)

Only assessments given by one of the listed organizations will be accepted

  • ESL courses are not accepted as proof of English proficiency
  • Employment experience will not be considered as proof of English proficiency


6. Proof of Completing Real Estate Information Session (only applies to real estate or property management professionals)


7. Proof of Real Estate Appraisal Education

(only applies to real estate appraisal professionals)

You must have completed the prescribed education and be a member in good standing of one of the following real estate associations. You must request a Letter of Good Standing be sent directly to RECA.
  • Appraisal Institute of Canada (AIC) 
  • Canadian National Association of Real Estate Appraisers (CNAREA)
  • Alberta Assessors’ Association (AAC)


Once you have read through the required documents listed above please start the education eligibility application process.

8. Eligibility Process

Create your myRECA account www.myreca.ca
Complete First Time Login process and Education Eligibility Application
  • log into your myRECA account at www.myreca.ca
  • complete the first time login process
  • see website for myRECA tutorials.
  • pay a $100 non-refundable eligibility application fee
Upload supporting documents (find the application by)
  • clicking My Applications
  • clicking Complete next to your Education Eligibility application
  • links are available for you to upload your documents


RECA will email you either asking you to check the Message Centre in your myRECA account if more information is required, or to let you know that the eligibility process has been completed.

RECA Education Eligibility Policies

Abandonment Policy: RECA considers an Education Eligibility application abandoned 180 days after payment of the $100 non-refundable application fee. All documentation is destroyed once an application has been abandoned.

Privacy Policy: RECA collects, uses, and discloses personal information for the following purposes:

RECA maintains reasonable and systematic controls, schedules, and practices for personal information retention and destruction. As part of RECA’s Education course enrollment process, learners are required to indicate they agree to RECA’s collection, use, and disclosure of their personal information for determining their eligibility and enrollment in any pre-licensing or post-licensing education courses, licensing, and other regulatory purposes under the Real Estate Act, in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA).