Careers and Opportunities
Trust Assurance & Practice Review Officer (Auditor)
Are you a designated accounting professional with experience conducting audits? Do you have experience in Alberta's real estate, mortgage brokerage, or appraisal industry and want to put your accounting skills to work? Do you want to help build the industry's reputation and protect the public? If so, this may be the right opportunity for you.
The Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is looking for a Trust Assurance & Practice Review Officer (Auditor) to join its team. Trust Assurance & Practice Review Officers encourage professional excellence and legislative compliance through proactive audits that educate and assist real estate brokers, mortgage brokers, and real estate appraisal professionals. This position plays a key role by providing positive and constructive practical advice to industry professionals through the review process.
Our employees enjoy a dynamic work environment with an emphasis on work/life balance. This permanent full-time position offers an annual starting salary of $68,000 - 74,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package that includes a group health insurance plan, 3 weeks' vacation, a health care spending account and employer matching RRSP plan.
Role & responsibilities
- review and analyze trust accounting at brokerages
- review transaction files, office management procedures, accounting practices, completeness of documentation, and file management practices
- identify and document legislative breaches and areas of improvement for the brokerage
- review findings and recommendations with brokers, including preparing written reports, and ensuring brokers understand and take appropriate corrective actions
Skills & qualifications
- post-secondary accounting courses
- an accounting designation or working towards an accounting designation is preferred
- 3 to 5 years of experience working in an accounting position that required review and analysis of bank reconciliations, income statements, and balance sheets
AND at least one of the following:
- experience in the real estate appraisal, real estate or mortgage brokerage industries
- experience conducting audits or business practice reviews
Other required qualifications include:
- excellent communication (written and verbal), attention to detail, and analytical skills
- conflict management, collaboration, and judgment skills
- ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment
- solid computer skills
- a valid driver's licence and personal vehicle to attend practice reviews
How to apply
If you think this is the job for you, please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Human Resources at email@example.com . The application deadline is April 27. 2018. Please include "Trust Assurance & Practice Review Officer" in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest. We will only contact those individuals we are considering for interviews. We may consider your application for other job openings at RECA.
RECA is an independent, progressive, and innovative non-government organization, and is the standards-setting governing body for real estate brokers, mortgage brokers, property managers, and real estate appraisal professionals in Alberta. RECA's mandate is to protect consumers and provide services that enhance and improve the industry and the business of industry professionals. Check us out at www.reca.ca
Learner Support Administrator
Do you excel in a customer-focused, fast-paced environment? Do you have strong communication skills to respond to inquiries and issues with ease? Are you good with computers and do you enjoy learning new technology? If so, this may be the career move for you!
The Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is the independent governing authority for Alberta’s real estate brokerage, mortgage brokerage, property management, and real estate appraisal professionals. RECA takes an active role in education. It offers flexible, engaging, online education courses in the industries it regulates. Our Education Programs team has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated Learner Support Administrator. In this role, you will provide information and assistance to individuals enrolled in RECA courses with a focus on customer service excellence.
RECA offers a dynamic team environment that supports collaboration and innovation. This permanent, full-time employment opportunity offers an annual starting salary of $50,000 – $54,000 with a comprehensive benefits package including health and dental coverage, 3 weeks’ vacation, and employer matching RRSP plan.
Role & responsibilities
- respond to education eligibility and course inquiries in a professional, positive, and timely manner
- process education eligibility applications, records, and documents with accuracy and efficiency
- assist learners with technical questions about their courses
- troubleshoot issues quickly and professionally, and provide options
- track all issues/requests using customer relationship management software
- cross-train with, and assist, other learner support services staff
- maintain knowledge of RECA education courses and the RECA learning management system in order to respond to learner content questions
- review and test education content for accuracy and functionality
- work independently and as part of a collaborative and cohesive service team
Skills & qualifications
- high school diploma or GED is required with a preference for post-secondary education in administration or a related field
- a minimum of 3 years of recent experience in customer service, office administration, and/or helpdesk functions, preferably within a fast-paced and technically-oriented workplace
- proficient in Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Outlook and Excel
- experience using MOODLE and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- professional and courteous customer service skills
- ability to use and navigate multiple computer systems and programs simultaneously
- strong organizational and attention to detail skills
- ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- knowledge of, or experience in, the real estate industry is an asset
How to apply
If you think this is the job for you, please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline is May 2, 2018. Please include “Learner Support Administrator” in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact only those individuals we are considering for interviews. We may also consider your application for other job openings at RECA.
RECA is an independent, progressive, and innovative non-government organization, and is the standards-setting governing body for real estate brokers, mortgage brokers, property managers, and real estate appraisal professionals in Alberta. RECA’s mandate is to protect consumers and provide services that enhance and improve the industry and the business of industry professionals. Check us out at www.reca.ca.
Condominium Managers Implementation Advisory Committee
Do you know a condominium owner who wants to help set the stage for the regulation of condominium managers in Alberta?
Do you know a condominium manager who wants to contribute in a meaningful way to the future of their industry?
If so, they may be exactly what the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is looking for. Please forward this email to them.
In 2014, the Government of Alberta passed amendments to the Condominium Property Act and the Real Estate Act. These amendments require the regulation of condominium managers and delegates the authority to RECA. RECA will govern the activities of individuals who provide condominium management services to condominium corporations.
RECA is looking for one (1) condominium owner and one (1) condominium manager to serve as a member of its Condominium Managers Implementation Advisory Committee.
Members of the Condominium Managers Implementation Advisory Committee will, among other things, make recommendations to RECA about the regulation of condominium managers. The Council Chair will appoint the Committee member for a term to December 31, 2019.
If you or someone you know is interested in these committee positions, please forward a letter of introduction stating your interest as well as a brief background of your experience, no later than May 15, 2018 to:
Condominium Manager Project Coordinator
Real Estate Council of Alberta
Suite 202, 1506 11 Ave SW Calgary, Alberta T3C 0M9
E-mail: email@example.com or Fax: 403.228.3065
Property Management Advisory Committee
Are you a real estate professional whose primary area of practice is property management? Do you want to help create a direct link between real estate professionals and Council?
If so, the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is looking for you. Consider applying to serve as a member of RECA’s Property Management Advisory Committee.
RECA’s Advisory Committees provide Council with a direct line to industry professionals. They also create cooperation, communication and an exchange of information between RECA and the real estate industry. Council may ask a committee to explore a specific issue relevant to the specific industry sector and the committee will report its findings to council. RECA Advisory Committees may also make recommendations to Council with respect to its responsibilities under the Real Estate Act.
Real Estate Advisory Committees identify and advise Council on trends and issues within the specific real estate sector that affect the industry and consumers.
Committee members receive an honorarium for meeting attendance, and RECA reimburses them for their expenses. Committee members should demonstrate the following qualities, knowledge, skills, and experiences:
- Communication, issue analysis, collaboration and group decision-making;
- Independence, objectivity, sound judgment and personal integrity;
- Experience on regulatory bodies or advisory committees; and,
- Commitment to RECA’s mandate to promote the integrity of the real estate industry and protect consumers.
Additionally, some experience in condominium management is preferred
Council is looking for a new member for its Property Management Advisory Committee. Committee members:
- Serve a 2-year term; and,
- Prepare for and participate in a minimum of one committee meeting each year.
Click here to review the Terms of Reference for the Property Management Advisory Committee.
If you wish to serve the property management sector, help raise the professionalism of the industry, and enhance consumer protection, please forward a letter of introduction and resume. Please send your submission no later than Tuesday, May 15, 2018 to:
Rina Hawkins, Executive Assistant
Real Estate Council of Alberta
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 403.228.3065
Note: RECA would like to thank all individuals who apply for this position. Please note an expression of interest does not guarantee an interview or committee position.