Moving to Alberta From Another Jurisdiction

The Real Estate Council of Alberta recognizes professionals from other jurisdictions in accordance with Canada’s Agreement on Internal Trade and has recognition agreements with various USA jurisdictions.

Qualifying Jurisdictions and Applicant Obligations

Licensed professionals from the following jurisdictions are exempt from the pre-licensing education requirements in Alberta for their comparable licence class.
  Real Estate   Mortgage    
  Canada USA Canada  
    British Columbia   Colorado   British Columbia  
    Manitoba   Georgia   Saskatchewan  
    New Brunswick   Montana   Manitoba  
    Newfoundland and
  Nebraska   New Brunswick  
    Northwest Territories   Oregon   Ontario  
    Nova Scotia   South Dakota   Quebec  
    Ontario   Utah      
    Prince Edward Island        

Professionals may require additional education when Alberta-specific issues are not addressed by the education of the originating jurisdiction. Alberta, British Columbia and Nova Scotia practice designated agency and transaction brokerage.  As real estate professionals outside of these jurisdictions do not receive education in designated agency and transaction brokerage, they must complete the Consumer Relationships e-learning course on these topics. The Consumer Relationships course fee is $300 and its completion must be within 120 days of RECA issuing a licence. Quebec and New Brunswick professionals must provide proof of English Language proficiency.

English is the language of instruction in all licensing education programs and is consistent with the Alberta business environment. English language proficiency can be demonstrated by providing:

RECA’s Labour Mobility Policy is located here.

Application Process

certified materials occupational standards recognition policy associate application myRECA address myRECA

NOTE: Recognition of an applicant’s occupational standards does not exempt them from RECA’s Re-licensing Education Program for the current licensing period, or from any other requirements for licensing and registration with RECA.