Assistants - Mortgage Brokerage

Purpose: This bulletin explains the responsibilities mortgage brokerage professionals have regarding unlicensed assistants and the tasks these assistants can and cannot perform.

This bulletin applies to all mortgage broker professionals.

An individual must hold a licence issued by the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) to deal in mortgages. An unlicensed assistant does not hold a licence to deal in mortgages and you must restrict their activities to administrative tasks and tasks that do not require a licence.

Mortgage brokerage professionals employing unlicensed assistants must

Tasks unlicensed assistants may do (under mortgage broker or associate supervision):

Unlicensed mortgage assistants must not:

Related information