The Executive Director of the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is a statutory position established by the Real Estate Act. He or she is appointed by the Council and serves as chief administrative officer of Council.
The Executive Director provides leadership in the establishment and implementation of the mission, principles and values of the corporation, and in setting and implementing annual strategic goals, objectives and priorities. The Executive Director provides information, advice and support to enable sound decision-making by Council and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of RECA, which includes ensuring human and financial resources, and promoting the organization’s integrity. The Executive Director ensures the policies of Council are implemented by administration and that the Real Estate Act and Rules are administered properly and in accordance with the rules of administrative law.
Specific responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
- Administering the program that authorizes industry members to be real estate brokers, mortgage brokers and real estate appraisers, including issuance, suspension and cancellation of authorizations (licences and registrations);
- Management of public information services;
- Management of consumer complaints, investigations and, upon receipt of sufficient evidence, referral of cases to disciplinary proceedings;
- Administering a program of trust assurance and practices reviews of industry members;
- Administering enforcement proceedings, including: issuing orders to cease carrying on business, obtaining receiving orders and freezing bank accounts; and,
- Administering the Real Estate Assurance Fund.