Legislation Review Committee
Terms of Reference
Ad Hoc Committee
Six (6) members of Council appointed by the Chair, one (1) of whom will serve as Chair and one (1) as Vice-Chair of the Committee.
Four (4) members of the committee present in person, one (1) of whom must be the Committee Chair or Vice-Chair
Ex Officio Members
Chair of Council (voting member)
Executive Director (non-voting member)
RECA Resources – The executive director will appoint one or more staff members to serve as staff resources to the committee.
The mandate of this committee is to review and provide recommendations to Council regarding:
- the changes to the Real Estate Act submitted to the Government of Alberta in 2013; that is, review and update the current proposed amendments with Service Alberta;
- the changes to the Real Estate Act recommended in the Field Law Regulatory Performance Review of the Real Estate Council of Alberta (April 2016);
- changes to the Real Estate Act Rules to implement housekeeping and clarification amendments submitted to the Committee by RECA’s General Counsel
- changes to the Real Estate Act and/or Rules to facilitate real estate brokerage commission trust accounts;
- proposed changes to legislation governing other regulators in Canada whose jurisdiction includes the licensing and regulation of the real estate brokerage, mortgage brokerage, real estate appraisal and condominium manager sectors;
- any government discussion papers or amendments to the Real Estate Act proposed by the Minister of Service Alberta;
- reports or recommendations by third parties submitted to the Government of Alberta proposing amendments to the Real Estate Act.
The Committee’s responsibilities include:
- prepare a discussion paper and public consultation process on proposed amendments to the Real Estate Act for approval by Council
- review and summarize the feedback from the consultation process and any other information received by the Committee with respect to proposed amendments to the Real Estate Act
- conduct any additional research the Committee deems necessary to complete its mandate
The establishment of this committee does not affect the responsibility of the executive director to provide information, advice, and recommendations upon his or her own initiative, or upon the request of Council, on matters before Council affecting the regulation of the real estate industry.
The term of the committee expires October 31, 2018.
The term of the committee may be extended in writing by the Chair of the Real Estate Council of Alberta.
Council members appointed to this committee serve on an annual basis from November 1st to October 31st unless otherwise specified by the Chair of the Real Estate Council of Alberta.
|2017-2018 Legislative Review Committee Members|
|Krista Bolton, Committee Chair|
|Robert Telford, Vice Chair|
|Brian Klingspon, RECA Chair|
|Bob Myroniuk, RECA Executive Director|