Philip Fook-Shing Tong and Ruth Chan Ho Yee Ng - Real Estate Licences Suspended
Calgary, Alberta - On May 29, 2017, the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) suspended Philip Fook-Shing Tong, a real estate broker, and Ruth Chan Yo Yee Ng, a real estate associate broker. Both individuals were registered with Classic Property Management & Realty Ltd in Calgary. RECA determined it is in the public interest to temporarily suspend Mr. Tong and Ms. Ng. The suspensions will continue until the conclusion of RECA disciplinary proceedings against them.
Allegations against Mr. Tong include:
- failure to be actively engaged in the management of the brokerage
- failure to ensure the business of the brokerage is carried out competently and in accordance with the legislation
- failure to ensure there is an adequate level of supervision for associate brokers or associates, and employees who perform duties on behalf of the brokerage;
- failure to ensure that for all monies held in trust, the bank records are maintained in accordance with the legislation, and the law as it relates to trustees
- when receiving money in trust in respect of a deal in real estate, failure to ensure that the terms of the trust governing the use of money are in writing and agreed to by the industry member and all other parties.
Allegations against Ms. Ng include:
- failure to provide competent service
- failure to fulfill her fiduciary obligations to her clients
- participation in fraudulent or unlawful activities in connection with the provision of services or in any dealings
The Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is an independent, non-government agency, responsible for governing real estate, mortgage broker, property management, and real estate appraisal industry professionals under Alberta’s Real Estate Act. RECA’s mandate is to protect consumers and to provide services that enhance and improve the industry and the business of industry professionals.