Seeking Outside Advice


Your licensed real estate or mortgage professional is your go-to resource during a real estate or mortgage transaction. They have the education, training and knowledge to make your experience as stress free as possible.

However, there are some things you may encounter in a transaction that could be out of your industry professional’s area of expertise, and you may want to consider seeking legal or other expert advice.

You may want advice from a/an:

Licensed real estate and mortgage professionals can’t provide advice on areas or topics with which they are not familiar or competent. For example, if a real estate professional isn’t a tax specialist, their ability to competently advise on the capital gains implications of selling a property may be limited.

Not only is it perfectly acceptable for you to seek advice from legal or other experts, your licensed real estate or mortgage professional can’t discourage you from doing so.

Your real estate or mortgage professional may provide you with a list of experts who can answer your questions or address your concerns; however, they are not obligated to do so. If they do provide you with a list of names, they can’t steer you toward a specific expert.

If you’re a buyer, ask your real estate professional about the Real Estate Council of Alberta’s (RECA) Property Inspection Request Form. The form lists the services that a buyer may want to consider. The form does not cover everything, but includes the most common reports or inspections that buyer’s request.