Getting to Know the Real Estate Council of Alberta
At the heart of Alberta’s real estate industry is an organization where people work cooperatively and proactively to make things better, for the industry as a whole and for consumers across the province.
As an independent governing body, the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) is committed to the public interest, by promoting the integrity of the industry and protecting consumers. RECA sets, regulates and enforces standards for real estate brokerage, mortgage brokerage, property management and real estate appraisal professionals in Alberta.
Alberta is one of only a few jurisdictions in North America with a fully self-regulated real estate industry, full funded by industry professionals. RECA is the self-regulatory body through which industry professionals govern themselves.
Council consists of 12 members, chosen from residential and commercial real estate, property management, mortgage brokerage, real estate appraisal, and the public. It is through this composition that Alberta real estate industry professionals are effectively regulated by a body of their peers.
In order to protect consumers, Council:
- sets and enforces standards of conduct for the industry and the business of industry professionals
- promotes the integrity of the industry
- protects against, investigates, detects and suppresses mortgage fraud as it relates to the industry
- provides services and other things that enhance and improve the industry and the business of industry professionals
- administers the Real Estate Act and related industry standards
An administrative staff, led by RECA’s Executive Director, assists Council in fulfilling its duties.
RECA serves the best interests of industry and consumers by investigating complaints, conducting disciplinary hearings and implementing initiatives that improve the practice of real estate brokerage, mortgage brokerage, property management and real estate appraisal in Alberta.It is committed to transparency, open communication, and consultation with the industry and public.