Terms of Reference
Industry Sector Advisory Committee
- two (2) Council members – one (1) Council member who will be the committee chair and is a real estate broker or associate trading in residential real estate; one (1) Council member who will be committee vice chair and is from an industry sector other than residential real estate or is a public member
- six (6) industry members whose main area of practice is residential real estate
- one (1) member of the public – the Chair of RECA will have the discretion to appoint a member of the public to this committee
- two (2) members appointed by the Alberta Real Estate Association (AREA) who are industry members and sit on the AREA Board of Directors during their appointment
Ex Officio Members
Ex-officio members of the committee are the RECA Chair and executive director.
RECA Resources – The executive director will appoint one or more staff members to serve as staff resources to the committee.
Industry Resources – The committee may invite an individual who is with an industry association or real estate board to provide input or to assist with the work of the committee on a specific issue or project basis.
The mandate of this committee is to provide advice to Council on regulatory issues in the residential real estate sector. The tasks of the committee are:
- to identify, research and discuss emerging issues related to the residential real estate sector affecting industry members and consumers
- to make recommendations to Council with respect to its responsibilities under the Real Estate Act related to the residential real estate sector; topic areas include the Real Estate Act and Rules, licensing and education standards, standards of conduct, industry practices, accounting and reporting requirements
- at the request of Council, the committee may be assigned specific projects which could include issues research, preparation of discussion papers, consultations or development of specific recommendations for Council’s review and consideration
- to meet at least once a year; however, it being understood meetings of sub-committees may be held to assist the committee in achieving its mandate.
The establishment of this committee does not affect the responsibility of the executive director to provide information, advice and recommendations upon his or her own initiative, or upon the request of Council, on matters before Council affecting the regulation of the residential real estate industry.
November 1st – October 31st; appointment of individuals to this committee, other than the AREA appointees, will be made by the Chair of Council; an individual other than a member of Council, can serve up to three two-year terms.
2017-2018 Residential Real Estate Advisory Committee Members
- Stan Mills, Committee Chair
- Phil McDowell, Vice Chair
- Dustin Henfrey (Industry Member)
- Janet Kuehn (AREA)
- Humaira Palibroda (Industry Member)
- Jessica Stoner (Industry Member)
- Tom Shearer (Industry Member)
- Todd Wallace (AREA)
- Colleen Wetter (Public Member)
- Matthew Wiebe (Industry Member)
- Brad Woodward (Industry Member)
- Brian Klingspon, RECA Chair
- Bob Myroniuk, RECA Executive Director